Michael Gurian, MFA, CMHC
Family Counselor & Author
Michael Gurian is the New York Times bestselling author of 25 books published in 21 languages. He provides counseling services at the Marycliff Center, in Spokane, Washington. The Gurian Institute, which he co-founded, conducts research internationally, launches pilot programs and trains professionals. Michael has been called "the people's philosopher" for his ability to bring together people's ordinary lives and scientific ideas. He has pioneered efforts to bring neuro-biology and brain research into homes, schools, corporations, and public policy. A number of his books have sparked national debate, including The Wonder of Girls, The Wonder of Boys, and Boys and Girls Learn Differently!, and The Minds of Boys.
Michael has served as a consultant to families, corporations, therapists, physicians, school districts, community agencies, churches, criminal justice personnel and other professionals, traveling to approximately 20 cities per year to keynote at conferences. His training videos (also available as DVDs) for parents and volunteers are used by Big Brother and Big Sister agencies in the U.S. and Canada. As an educator, Michael previously taught at Gonzaga University, Eastern Washington University, and Ankara University. His speaking engagements include Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, Stanford University, Macalester College, University of Colorado, University of Missouri-Kansas City, and UCLA. His philosophy reflects the diverse cultures (European, Asian, Middle Eastern and American) in which he has lived, worked and studied. Michael's work has been featured in various media, including the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, Newsweek, Time, People Magazine, Reader's Digest, the Wall Street Journal, Forbes Magazine, Parenting, Good Housekeeping, Redbook, and on the Today Show, Good Morning America, CNN, PBS and National Public Radio.
Books Written By This Expert
- Nurture the Nature
- The Wonder of Boys
- The Wonder of Girls
- Boys and Girls Learn Differently!
- How Do I Help Him?
- The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
- The Invisible Presence: How a Relationship with His Mother Affects All His Realtionships with Women
- What Could He Be Thinking?: How a Man's Mind Really Works
- A Fine Young Man: What Parents, Mentors and Educators Can Do to Shape Adolescent Boys into Exceptional Men
- The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons From Falling Behind in School and Life
- The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
- Strategies for Teaching Boys and Girls-Elementary Level: Workbook
- The Prince and the King: Healing the Father-Son Wound