Reproductive endocrinologist vs. OB/GYN

Watch David Tourgeman, MD's video on Reproductive endocrinologist vs. OB/GYN...
Reproductive endocrinologist vs. OB/GYN | Kids in the House
KidsInTheHouse the Ultimate Parenting Resource
Kids in the House Tour

Reproductive endocrinologist vs. OB/GYN

Comment
14
Unlike
14
Transcription: 
In general, women are being followed by their obstetricians and what they find is that they may be there a little too long before they ultimately get engaged to a real fertility discussion. That probably stems from the fact that we find that in a normal population the likelihood of conception is approximately 20% per month. As it turns out, that´s really a mean population with an age of about 35, 30 to 35 years of age. It turns out that as women age, the likelihood of pregnancy per month actually goes down. So if you look at classic teaching, most women would seek infertility consultation after one year of trying. And that´s because for an average aged woman, the likelihood of conception is 20% per month and thus after one year of trying the cumulative pregnancy rate is 90%. If you have conceived after that one year, you are considered to be infertile. That´s where the definition came from. However, if you are 40, for example, and the likelihood of conception is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 10%, really the reason to seek infertility treatment sooner is because of that exact likelihood of conception being diminished. And so, perhaps it would encourage someone to seek infertility treatment earlier and the number that is usually given is about six months if conception has not occurred to seek the help of a professional.
ALL PARENTS

Watch David Tourgeman, MD's video on Reproductive endocrinologist vs. OB/GYN...

Transcript

Expert Bio

More from Expert

David Tourgeman, MD

Infertility Specialist

Education
 - Undergraduate: University of California, Santa Barbara.
 Medical School: University of Southern California.
 Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology 
University of Southern California, Los Angeles County Women’s & Children’s Hospital. 
Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility University of Southern California, Los Angeles County Women’s & Children’s Hospital.

Board Certification 
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
 Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Academic Appointments
 - Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology,
 University of Southern California School of Medicine.

Hospital Affiliations 
- Huntington Memorial Hospital 
St. John’s Health Center.

Awards
 - Wyeth-Ayest Award of the Pacific coast Reproductive Society, April 1999. 
Serono In-Training Award for the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, April 2000
. Ortho- Mcneil Poster Award Obstetrical and Gynecological Assembly of Southern California, February 2011.
 Serono In-Training Award for the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, April 2001. 
Fellow Award, co-author Pacific Coast Reproductive Society, April 2001.

Professional Organizations - 
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
 American Society for Reproductive Medicine. 
Pacific Coast Reproductive Society
 Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.

Areas of Research and Publication
 - Assisted reproductive technologies and oocyte donation in women of advanced
 reproductive age. 
Advanced reproductive fertility surgery. 
Alternatives for enhancing embryo implantation
. Evaluation of ovulation induction agents. 
Vaginal hormone administration.

Languages Spoken
 - English, 
French, &
 Spanish.

More Parenting Videos from David Tourgeman, MD >
Enter your email to
download & subscribe
to our newsletter