Advice on Special Education classes

Watch Video: Advice on Special Education classes by Dennise Goldberg, ...
Advice on Special Education classes | Kids in the House
KidsInTheHouse the Ultimate Parenting Resource
Kids in the House Tour

Advice on Special Education classes

What our organization recommends for parents who think that their child might have special education needs is that they have all the necessary assessments conducted by their school. You can also do private assessments on your own if you wish. However, parents need to realize that under the law, the school only needs to consider your assessments, they don't necessarily have to follow them. If you disagree with your school's assessments, you can always request an independent educational evaluation, or an IEE, and that is at public expense. That is an evaluation done by someone not employed by the school district. If your school district refuses your request for an IEE, then they must take you to due process and explain to a judge why their assessments were accurate.

Watch Video: Advice on Special Education classes by Dennise Goldberg, ...


Expert Bio

More from Expert

Dennise Goldberg

IEP Expert & President of Gold Standard Advocates

Dennise Goldberg is the owner of Special Education Advisor, a community of parents, educators, and special education service providers dedicated to helping families with children who have special needs understand their special education rights and receive appropriate special education services. Dennise also works as a Special Education Advocate in Southern California through her company, Gold Standard Advocates.  In this capacity she has helped children with all forms of disabilities receive a Free Appropriate Public Education. She is also the mother of a beautiful 11-year old boy who has dealt with developmental delays, apraxia of speech, fine motor delays, sensory issues, gross motor delays, and now has a learning disability (auditory processing disorder).

More Parenting Videos from Dennise Goldberg >