The competitive nature of college admissions

Watch Susan Eiges Hansen's video on The competitive nature of college admissions...
The competitive nature of college admissions | Kids in the House
KidsInTheHouse the Ultimate Parenting Resource
Kids in the House Tour

The competitive nature of college admissions

Is college admissions competitive? There are 200,000 colleges in this country. Probably 85 percent of the schools do not have selective admissions, the other 15 percent do, but everyone seems to want to apply to the drool schools. The schools that everybody wants to go to, the Ivy League schools, Stanford, Duke, Harvard, some of the schools that have a big football presence. Certainly, there are enough colleges in this country and it doesn't need to be as competitive as it is. The other factor that has made college admissions competitive is the common application. It used to be that students had to do a different application for every school they applied to. Now, with the advent of the college app, which most schools accept; most students can apply to many schools. Students are applying to more schools and makes the process all that more competitive.
TEEN, Education, Applying to College

Watch Susan Eiges Hansen's video on The competitive nature of college admissions...


Expert Bio

More from Expert

Susan Eiges Hansen

College Consultant

Susan Eiges Hansen, president of Hansen College Strategies, is an Independent College Counselor based in Santa Monica, California. Since 2007, Sue has been committed to helping students both in California and throughout the United States navigate the college admissions process and develop optimal strategies for college placement. Sue began her practice working with student-athletes and experienced so many successful placements that she frequently received requests to work with all types of students. She has since expanded her practice and welcomes all students who are seeking knowledgeable and comprehensive college planning. Sue received her Bachelors degree from the University of Florida and Masters from California State University Northridge. She has her certificate in Independent Educational Consulting from the University of California at Irvine and stays up to date with trends in higher education by attending several college counseling conferences per year. Sue is a member of WACAC (Western Association for College Admission Counseling) and an Associate member of IECA (Independent Educational Consultants Association). She is a frequent contributor to various higher education and college admissions websites as an author, panelist, and blogger and regularly presents seminars and talks for students and families about preparing for college. Prior to launching her college counseling career, Sue worked for twenty years at three major hospitals in the Los Angeles area as a program director, medical educator, and research librarian. Sue is the parent of two recent college graduates. Her older daughter graduated from the University of Virginia and her younger daughter from Stanford.

More Parenting Videos from Susan Eiges Hansen >
Enter your email to
download & subscribe
to our newsletter