A house is one of the biggest purchases you will make in your life so it only makes sense that you maintain it regularly. There are many parts to look into so it’s easy to get overwhelmed in the beginning. However, there are big benefits to taking care of home maintenance stuff now. Here are just some of them:
1. Save money. If you catch issues early on, you can save a lot of money from the repairs it will cost when it breaks down. Yes, it may cost you some money now but it’ll prevent you from paying the bigger bill caused by that faulty area of your home.
2. Save energy. Sustainability is big nowadays. However, it shouldn’t just be a passing trend; it’s a must. By regularly checking your home and appliances for gaps, cracks, and leaks, you can take the right steps to have it fixed. This way, everything in your home is running at their most efficient.
3. Better safety. A poorly maintained home can be the cause of accidents which means more expenses on your part. This goes back to functioning optimally. If you want everything to just work, you should be doing home maintenance.
4. Better selling potential. When the time comes that you decide to sell your home, you won’t have a hard time doing so because you already did the hard work in the beginning. Even if someone is determined to buy your home, they are entitled to do an inspection. If they discover a problem, your house’ value can be greatly affected.
5. Peace of mind. It may sound like home maintenance is a lot of work but with a little organization, you can actually make it work. You want to schedule regular maintenance in your home so you are aware of the issues and address them right away. Nothing sucks more than being surprised accident that you’d have to skip work for or pay extra because of the much needed repair.
6. Sense of accomplishment. It feels rewarding to know that your home is well-taken care of. By you! It’s a big achievement and makes you feel more comfortable living in your home.
Now that I’ve convinced you of the benefits of home maintenance, let’s take a look at the ways you can reduce costs in doing so.
Tips for Reducing Cost on Home Maintenance
Set a schedule for inspections. You can do it yourself or hire a professional. Whichever you choose, it’s important that regular inspection is done so you know what needs repairing.
Get a home warranty. A home warranty acts like an insurance plan that covers the cost of home repair. The price can range from $300 to $600 depending on the kind of coverage you want. If you’re buying a new house, a home warranty to cover repairs is a good idea. This sets you up for success because you don’t really know what to expect from your new home. As time goes by and you are more familiar with the problems in your house, you can adjust the coverage.
Clean everything. And I mean every thing. Not only does this make your home a pleasant place to live in, it will also help you catch parts of your home that may need some repair. You can then take care of it right away before it turns into a big problem.
The handyman is your friend. Keep a good relationship with your repairman. It’s a hassle to look for a new one every time, so having one on your speed dial is good. They become more familiar with your home making them more capable to repair stuff and they can even walk you through routine inspections that you can do yourself.
Now onto you. Which home maintenance do you prioritize the most? Share your thoughts in the comments!