Head of School
Head of School
Now starting her forty-second year, Reveta Bowers is the Head of School at The Center for Early Education, an urban pre-school through 6th grade Los Angeles independent school with 538 students. Devoted to children and education, Ms. Bowers served and has served on a number of boards. She is currently on Board of Overseers of the UCLA Healthcare System, on the founding board of the African American Board Leadership Institute and the board of the FEDCO Charitable Foundation. She just completed serving as Chair Emeritus of the Board of Directors ...
Read more >>
f the California Community Foundation. A past president and former secretary of The Educational Records Bureau Board, Reveta Bowers was also a member of the Advisory Board to the Klingenstein Center at Teacher’s College for ten years. She served as an outside director on the Board of Directors of the Walt Disney Company for ten years and is a former member of the Harvard-Westlake, Brentwood and Windward School boards. Reveta was on the Council for Spiritual and Ethical Education board, and the boards of the National Association of Principals of Schools for Girls and the Country Day Headmaster’s Association. She served as a trustee and treasurer of the NAIS Board, and as past president of the California Association of Independent Schools. For the past thirteen years she has also been on the faculty of the NAIS Institute for New Heads where she serves as the Lead Faculty member. One of her proudest career moments was receiving the NAIS Diversity Leadership Award in 2009. She has had a long and rewarding career in independent schools and finds her work with organizations supporting education, students, parents, community and Board work to be continually inspiring.
Books Written By This Expert
- The Head's Handbook: A Guide for Aspiring, New, and Experienced Heads of School - Chapter "Parents" by NAIS
- What's Next: The Experts' Guide: Predictions from 50 of America's Most Compelling People - Chapter "What's Next in Education" by Jane Buckingham
- The Colors of Excellence: Hiring and Keeping Teachers of Color in Independent Schools Chapter by Pearl Kane and Alfred Orsini
- The Blessing Of A Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children by Wendy Mogel
- Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World by Tony Wagner
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Homesick and Happy: How Time Away from Parents Can Help a Child Grow by Michael Thompson
- NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson